Jump to navigation Jump to search
Easy Hushpuppy Recipe
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 egg, beaten slightly
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of salt & pepper
- canola oil (for frying)
- boiled water
- Fill a dutch oven or heavy bottomed skillet with oil at least two inches deep and heat on high.
- In a bowl, mix together cornmeal, onion, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour boiling water over the mixture slowly and stir until a tight paste forms.
- Add egg and stir until the batter falls off a spoon in a lump.
- Form batter into golf ball sized balls.
- Fry dough balls in the hot oil until golden brown, rolling over occasionally.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.